1.03.2010

All Good Things

My 2 weeks of bliss is coming to a close. It's been wonderful having 2 weeks to rest, relax, enjoy my time without getting out of my PJs and to just unwind. I thought I would have been refreshed and ready to head back to the office by tomorrow, but I don't feel that I am. I'm hoping getting back to the office actually helps, but I'm not sure it will.

I watched the last episode of House, Season 3 this evening. The topic seemed to be learning all you can at one place and knowing when it's time to move on. I'm not saying that I'm in the same situation, but I'm wondering if I'm getting there. My day job used to provide me with things to learn, almost daily. It was creative, busy, and left me feeling like I did something that benefits someone else. However, lately it has felt like I'm just doing the same thing every day and I can only help someone if asked (managing our main calendar and booking client events) where as I used to be there specifically to help people (planning special events, overseeing artist hospitality, etc). I want to get back to feeling like I used to but I'm just not sure how to do that. I'll bring it up with my boss... that's a start I suppose.

Other than thinking about work today, I've spent the day dyeing some fiber, enjoying the snow outside my windows (seen above) and thinking about what I want 2010 to bring for my business. Each day that passes is a day that I'm closer to deciding to move my jewelry off of the internet and just do that locally/in person. It does very well in person and moves very slowly online. It takes a TON of energy to keep up with two shops and I'd rather focus on my fiber. I'm not sure if this is the path I'll take, but it's on my mind. I want to put tons of energy into Woolyhands and make it the side business that could one day be my main business. I'm having trouble figuring out how to do that while messing with Idyllhands. We'll see what the next couple of months brings with that. I might decide to continue on with both... but only time will tell.

Oh, I hand painted tons of wool top today (Corriedale and BFL). It's lovely stuff. I hadn't done that since this summer and it felt good to be creative like that. I can't wait to get the pictures taken and list the fiber in my shop. A new year brings new fibers.

3 comments:

Silver said...

Looking forward to more yummy fibers in the shop! Once I'm off my temporary fiber-buying hold, I'll probably buy some more ... :D
Dunno why your jewelry isn't moving online — the photos are lovely. If I didn't end up turning green when I wear non-precious metal, I would be more prone to buying your sparklies, too, instead of just fluffies.

vickie said...

cant wait to see the hand painted wool top. i have never hand painted wool top any tips? vbarton 24 at gmail dot com

Anonymous said...

Having two shops is hard, I've tried it more than once and I always fall back to just one.

Now I'm trying to learn to embrace variety, and go with the flow.

Have you considered having just one shop with fiber and jewelry in it?

Soap sells more often for me, but I still make plenty of jewelry sales as well... and it's so much easier promoting one shop online, than two. Who says if your customers like your fiber, they wouldn't also like to see the jewelry you make, and vise versa.

don't segregate. ♥