4.02.2009

A Challenge

I have enjoyed spinning since December of 2007 when my mom gave me a drop spindle for Christmas. If you have followed my blog, then you know I purchased my spinning wheel this past fall. I have spun, spun, and spun some more ever since. I've tried to fill my shop and my Holiday craft sale tables with my handspun lovelies and have succeeded in doing so.

Since getting some wool to dye a little over a month ago, my attention has been diverted over to the dye pots. Spinning was put on the back burner as I mixed dyes and steamed roving. A challenge set up by Tara of Blonde Chicken Boutique was JUST what I needed to get back to spinning. She set up a group in Ravelry to spin or dye everyday in April. My challenge to myself is to spin everyday.

I'm only 2 days into it but I discovered something while spinning tonight. I'm not choosing wool to spin in order to fill my shop back up with yarn, but instead, I've spin for the past two days just for myself. I picked roving that I purchased for "me" yarn and I took the time to try a realllllly thin single in order to ply it into something not so artsy and bulky. I wasn't spinning this to sell, I was spinning this just for the pure delight of spinning this lovely wool.

Huh. Who knew this challenge would lead to that so quickly.

The yarn I worked on last night and tonight is seen above. Spun from roving from kcknits.etsy.com on my Fidelis wheel. I cannot wait to knit something from it. I'm keeping this one for myself.

3 comments:

Alpaca Farmgirl said...

Thanks for sharing your spinning journey! Looks fun. I can't wait to start.

Join us for Fiber Arts Friday by linking your post to www.alpacafarmgirl.com

Christina said...

I don't know if it's just the light but it looks like a lovely blend of oranges! A perfect something for the fall, perhaps? :)

Carolyn B said...

I love the blended colors - luscious - stopping by on a belated visit for Fiber Arts Friday :o)